Dentist in Silver Spring MD
A toothache can happen to anyone and unfortunately it has a sudden onset. A cavity usually does not causes any discomfort until it has reached the pulp or the nerve of the tooth so you can have a cavity without symptoms! The best thing to do is make an appointment and see us as soon as you feel any discomfort. Early intervention will always result in a better prognosis.
So what should you do? Aside from visiting your dentist, there is no long lasting cure.
For temporary relief however, here are a few tried-and-true measures you can take:
- Take a dose of over the counter pain medication, such as ibuprofen.
- Avoid chewing on the side of the mouth where you are symptomatic.
- Avoid cold or hot foods which will cause acute pain in your tooth.
- Wear a mouth guard while sleeping to prevent grinding if you are grinding your teeth (bruxism).
- Use an ice pack or cold compress near your problem tooth to minimize any swelling.
(Please note that these suggestions are for adults only. If your child suffers a toothache, consult with his or her pediatrician for safe treatment options.)
Make sure to make an appointment with your Dentist in Silver Spring Maryland, Dr Nima Raoufinia, and address the problem immediately. To make an appointment call 301-565-4555. Dr Raoufinia and staff will determine the cause and treat the toothache accordingly. After the problem has been treated, be sure to ask us for a detailed explanation and recommendations to help you avoid these situations in the future.
Brushing, flossing and regular check-ups every 6 months will play central roles in the world of preventative care, but based on your unique dental situation, additional procedures may be recommended as part of your treatment plan.